Badass mums. They’re a bit like folklore, you hear about them, you know about them, but do you actually know one? Hmmmm….celebrities like Beyonce or Angelina Jolie who clearly don’t count because well, they might as well be folklore as far as I’m concerned. The real question is…where are these REAL badass mums? Are they in our midst? Could you…yes YOU…reading this perhaps be a badass mum? I reckon that if you meet the below criteria you probably are a badass mum:
- 1. You do and say what YOU think is best and secretly, or perhaps, not so secretly want to punch anyone in the throat that offers up unwanted advice. No means NO in your world.
2. You teach your children to be independent – they work for it, they clean up after themselves, they have responsibilities from as soon as they’re able.
3. You call your children out when they are obviously trying to take you for a ride, or are faking it.
4. You will do all the “bad stuff” with your kids first so they are doing it safely at home (or at least, that’s the plan), rather than taking a chance with it in the outside world.
5.You support and cheerlead your children’s passions and dreams, not squish them. You teach them to go for it! Not matter how big or small….
6. You love your children to within an inch or their life but allow and teach them to be free, be themselves and never a slave to anyone else.
7. You’re tough, you’re mean, you’ll piss people off, but you also dish out the best love, hugs, pratting around and laughs.
8. You always, ALWAYS stand up for your own..You don’t like anyone in your den to be taken for a ride. You’re proud. You are the lioness!
9. You get involved, get your hands dirty, relish in the moment and try to own this motherhood thing, not letting it pass you by because otherwise why bother surviving the darkest days?
10. You haven’t lost yourself. You’ve still got your personality, interests, a sense of humour, sassy style and friends. There’s more to you that just this motherhood gig.
11. You’re not afraid to talk frankly about the icky things like bits, sex, death and drugs with your children.
12. If your then grown up child called you in the middle of the night in dire straits you would simply….book her an taxi home…
13. You still feel sexy…..yes….sexy! OK not all of the time, but some of the time, at least!
So are you are a badass mum? A wannabe badass mum? Or perhaps a lame ass mum? Drop me a comment and let me know who and what is in the house….
Does this mean I think I’m a badass mum? Well, that really depends on the day you ask me…because clearly a mum crying into her coffee is not so bad ass.
And whether you’re a badass mum or not…and want to connect with and support other mums, you can also check out the Mommitment Facebook page here.