There has recently been a troll at large – of course there always will be – who has been going round asking whether we bloggers don’t have the qualifications to do a “proper job”.
Cue a huge Mexican outrage of wrath and scorn in a world stadium full of bloggers.
Unfortunately, yes there are some bloggers who probably do give us all a bad name for being in the game just to get freebies and massively expensive prams. Shame on your name.
However, the other 99% of us, let it be known – do not blog for these reasons. In addition to that, many bloggers blog as well as holding down a regular job…just to set the record straight. Usually proper qualifications needed for those last time I checked. Others have crafted hugely successful paths for themselves where they don’t even need to hold down a boring 9 – 5 job, and as far as I can say, this isn’t something to be looked down on, but instead applauded.
But for those of you (and perhaps you, little troll are out there reading this too) who are wondering what bloggers really do, let me break it down for you here:
- Conceiving, creating, curating and delivering fresh content ideas, much like an editor of any part of an editorial team would do, something you would need some sort of qualification to do.
- Negotiating prices, setting fees, and sealing deals, much like any member of a sales team would do, which usually requires some form of qualification to do.
- Promoting your own content across a wide variety of marketing platforms, much like all those people hired by huge brands and marketing and PR agencies do who guess what…need qualifications to do so.
- Manage, develop and fix the back end of your site, and all technical aspects of your blog meaning your are your own programmer, coder and webmaster and SEO expert….aherm….think those people usually have qualifications to do that too!
- Manage your finances and doing the books – taking care of all the nitty gritty that comes with having your own business including issuing invoices, chasing payments, and managing your accounts…which yup, companies usually have a whole accounts department to do.
- Relationship manage a diverse array of stakeholders, their needs and expectations which many a company dedicate whole relationship teams and massive databases to….qualifications needed for that too.
- Plus about a bajillion other things you can read more about here.
Actually, the purpose of this post wasn’t for me to sit and list 20 things a blogger does in a day but more to say to any trolls, doubters and haters out there who think bloggers are just a bunch of air heads who don’t have the “qualifications to get a proper job” to think very hard before you utter those words again. Ever.
I have racked up more qualifications, skills and experience than I can shake a stick at during my career thus far. I’ve been an Editor in Chief of a leading online lifestyle platform, I’ve worked for one of the world’s leading museums, and I’ve worked across some huge brand marketing accounts during my time before that, not to mention everything else in-between.
Being a blogger is my choice. I have every qualification I need to go out there and bang my head against a wall doing something I hate 9 -5, but I’d much rather be doing what I’m doing right now – doing something I love, and making a living from it. So shoot me.
***Did this post resonate with you? Please do give it a Facebook share, a Tweet on Twitter and like my Facebook page.***