The other day I was reading in the Sunday Times Style magazine about the booming beauty industry. Yes apparently the beauty industry is absolutely EXPLODING like it never has before, fuelled by an army of beauty bloggers, vloggers and Instagram posts. OK so what? You may ask. Nothing that exciting about that.
OK but here is the thing that made my jaw drop. Some of these beauty influencers will apparently use around 40…yes 40!!!! products to get ready for one particular event or occasion…and even four products alone on their flipping eyebrows. EYEBROWS????! I mean, come on now.
It got me thinking how opposite this must be to all us mums – yes, me..and you out there reading this now. Although apparently alongside the “gym look”, the “first thing in the morning look” there is also a “school run look” – excuse me while I just punch these people in the throat! Because who even has time to “get a look” on the school run apart from a very pissed off one?
I mean, when it comes to mum make up – what’s inside your bag? I bet it’s nowhere near forty products. I’m thinking more likely:
- A dry old crumbly mascara
- A foundation you have probably managed to keep going for at least two years, possibly three or four, so infrequently does it see the light of day
- A stubby old bit of eyeliner which hasn’t rubbed up against a sharpener since its existence
- A smashed blusher box and a blusher brush that leaves a trail of bristles all over your mum visage
- The same eyeshadow palette which you have been rocking since pre-mum days which is probably about to give you conjunctivas at any moment, and probably only has one colour left in it
- Some random on-a-whim products you bought which have never been used, let alone opened
- A manky old lipstick which is so off-trend it could make you cry
- As for eyebrows, you never even have a chance to pluck them (where did those tweezers GO!!!?) let alone put flipping four products on them!
Not the stuff that beauty dreams are exactly made of, eh?
Well it’s good news. Apparently our crusty ageing make up collections will pick back up again in our 50s, once we have largely kicked motherhood to the curb) and actually have time to wash our faces in the morning, and even slap a few beauty products on them!
So just for the record…what’s in your mum make up bag? Is it as a pathetic as the contents listed above, worse? or maybe you are a rare mum who manages to actually rock a bit of beauty prowess? Go on, fess up in a comment below…
Did this post tickle you? Please go on and give it a little Facebook share, Tweet, or Stumble!***