As my little one is now well into her second year on planet Earth, I can not help as I marvel at her that often being in her presence is in many ways, holding up a mirror to myself. Well, they do say that toddlers are like drunk adults!
I can only but blame myself for all her quirks and imperfections, seeing as I too seem to carry most of them in my own make-up. It got me thinking how funny it is that I often find it so hard to get my head around what it is to be a toddler, when in fact…shock, horror, I am more like one than I can to admit.
But surely, I am not alone in this? Surely there are others out there who might in fact be a toddler in disguise? Think you could be? Here are 10 signs that your fears are in fact, well founded:
1. You have a terrible attention span – The average short term memory span of an animal is 27 seconds; whilst a toddler’s is somewhere around 6-9 minutes depending on their age. Yours is probably somewhere in-between said animal and toddler.
2. You have a terrible temper – This quote,”The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off” by Gloria Steinem, comes to mind. The only difference between you are your toddler is that their truths largely centre on number of biscuits while yours tend to be a little more pressing.
3. You have the need to eat every 2 hours so as to avoid getting hangry – Feel like you want to kill someone every time your blood sugar levels get a little bit low? Hmmm…who does that remind you of?
4. You have a predisposition to get too excited about everything – Wahhhhhhh! Do you get as excitable as a small excited dog? That makes two of you then.
5. You have a tendency to get a bit obsessive – Come on, fess up! OCD parents we know you are out there (read more about that from Life, Love & Dirty Dishes). It’s not just your little tyke who has a problem with repetition, routine and order now is it?
6. You have a problem with volume control – Have you ever been given “a look” for being too loud in a public place? Yes, those party pooper looks definitely are NOT just reserved for toddlers…
7. You have poor bladder control – OK so at least you have the excuse of having to push a small human past your bladder for this one. And the accidents are far fewer…but remember this – one day we will all end up back in nappies.
8. You sometimes want to be mean to daddy – You love daddy so much but sometimes you really just want to poke him in the eye.
9. You have a problem being told what to do – Did you just tell me what to do? Cue no. 2.
10.You often feel like a total A-hole – Being a parent = feeling like a total A-hole. Being a toddler = feeling like a total A-hole. Not much in it really.
So are you more like a toddler than you care to admit? How did you fare? Leave a comment and let me know!