Choosing a nursery school for your child is rather a monumentous event. Catapulting them out into the big, wide, world to mix with their peer group and learn under someone else’s guidance feels like a huge parenting step, and so it’s no wonder that for many, choosing the right nursery can be an anxious time.
While there are numerous articles and forum threads dedicated to the subject, not to mention advice and recommendations bounded your way; ultimately, it is a decision that is down to you and which can cause some, like me, to feel like a man who has lost his way in a dark forest. So many options, so many things to consider, and too many choices!
Currently I am trying to geo cache my way out of said forest, with the following thoughts going round in my head:
1. How can this be rated “Outstanding” by Ofted??!
- – Ah..Ofsted “Outstanding”, the holy grail. But seriously, sometimes these ratings just don’t seem in line with what you are seeing and feeling when you go to visit a nursery. And then how can others be rated only “Good” when they seem to you “Outstanding” in comparison. It’s a mystery.
2. I can’t believe these people have been hired to work in a nursery – Seriously, have these people really been hired to inspire, educate and serve as role models for our future? God help us all.
3. I like what the Nursery Manager has to say, but can they and their staff really walk the walk? – Finally! I have found someone who actually sounds quite intelligent and articulate, giving well considered responses to all my questions…but are they just waxing lyrical?
4. This nursery looks too good…is it too good to be true?! – Great facilities, a seemingly great approach, structure and outlook, nice atmosphere…cue suspicion: I wonder what I’m not picking up on here…
5. Maybe I should just see one more nursery…I really like this nursery, but how many should I see to be absolutely sure I’m making the right choice? And how much exactly will I fuck things up if I make the wrong decision here?
6. Argh! Can I really trust my gut? – Everyone says that first impressions and gut feelings are the way to go…but what if my gut is wrong?
7. But everyone says that other nursery is the best one – You’ve found a nursery you like, but you keep on hearing good things about that other nursery round the corner. So which do you trust more? Your own instincts? Or people’s recommendations….Be a lemming? Or break the mould? Remember what’s right for someone else, may not necessarily be right for you….right?
8. Will she(/he) really be better off being here, than at home with me? – Seriously, are you ever going to be able to squeeze in that much learning and activities into a day for your child whilst maintaining your sanity? Probably not.
9. Is it all going to be too overwhelming? – From largely home environment to 30 toddlers letting loose on a discovery adventure. OMG. Intense!
10. Fuck me, is that really how much it’s going to cost!? – Said everyone who ever sent their child to nursery and had to pay for it.
In the end, like everyone else, I’m going to have to trust that I’m making the right decision based on careful consideration and instincts. Good luck to me then!
Did you suffer nursery angst? What other worries did you have? And did you feel you made the right choice in the end?