Don’t be a bad parent by letting your kids munch unhealthy junk foods while they are in their school. While it is true that we cannot watch over our children while they are in their second home, we can still provide a safety net for them. When it comes to the food they eat, we can help to guide them even when we are not there.
Providing healthy alternatives for a snack is quite a challenge already these days. But of course, this doesn’t mean it can’t be done. In fact, there are a lot of homemade recipes that can help you out here.
When it comes to school snacks, your options are pretty limitless. For example, you can make eggless cookies, hummus, and the like. But in here, I am going to teach you something different and unique in this post. So let’s get to it!
Blueberry Bagel Recipe
- Warm water (1 1/4 cup)
- Instant dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
- Bread flour (5 cups)
- Honey (2 tablespoons)
- Kosher salt (2 teaspoons)
- Sugar (4 teaspoons)
- Cinnamon (1 teaspoon)
- Blueberries (1 cup)
- Large egg (1 piece)
- Mix the yeast, salt, honey, sugar, warm water and two cups of the bread flour with a mixer that has a dough attachment. While combining, you should add two additional cups of the flour.
- Continue mixing until the dough becomes shredded in appearance. After this, you can put the blueberries in the mixer. When you mix the dough with blueberries, the former might get mushy and wet. You can pour additional flour to mitigate this effect.
- Start adjusting the speed of the mixer to medium to low. Mix continuously until such time the dough will get firm, elastic, and smooth. Just add more flour so that you can get this desired texture for the dough.
- After mixing, you can shape the dough into a circular shape. Put it in a bowl lightly coated with oil. Turn the ball dough until such time it is fully covered with oil. Place a cover over the bowl (preferably a damp towel) and place it in a warm place to let the dough rise.
- While doing this, start preheating your oven already (around 425 degrees Fahrenheit/220 Celsius). Meanwhile, take a water-filled saucepan to your stove and boil it on high-heat setting. After boiling, reduce the temperature so that the water would simmer. Cover the pan until such time you want to boil the bagels already. Start lining a baking sheet and a greased parchment paper.
- Put the dough on a dry and clean surface. With the number of ingredients that I have listed, you can divide the dough into 8 to 12 equal pieces. Each piece of the dough should be rolled on a long rope. The rope should have its both ends moistened with water. After this, press the ends so that you can create a bagel. You can increase the size of the hole that you created. Once done, use a damp towel to cover the bagels for at least ten minutes.
- After this period, stretch the dough again so that you can widen the size of its hole. You are ready to boil the bagel! I usually boil two bagels at a time to prevent overcrowding. Provide the bagels the room for them to skip freely. Each of the sides should be cooked for around 30 seconds or until such time the bagels have shriveled appearance.
- Start making a cinnamon-sugar mixture by stirring these ingredients together. You should also combine the egg and one tablespoon of water. You will brush the latter to the surface of the bagels, then followed by the cinnamon-sugar mixture. After this, put the bagels inside your oven for 15 minutes. You will notice that the surface of the bagel turns into a rich and sweet brownish color. Remove the bagels from the oven and let them be cooled for around 15 minutes. Your kids will surely love this homemade treat!
Orange Cranberry Muffins
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup of vegetable oil
- ½ cup of orange juice
- 1 navel orange
- 1 ½ cup of all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- Dried cranberries
- The first thing that you are going to do is to preheat your oven 375 degrees Fahrenheit/190 Celsius . Next, prepare your muffin tins by coating them a cooking spray.
- After this, mix together the orange juice, oil, and orange wedges in a blender. Blend them until the mixture becomes smooth.
- In a separate bowl, pour the sugar, baking powder, flour, salt, and baking soda. In the center of the ingredients, create a hole or a well. There, you can put the orange mixture you created. Stir properly then add the cranberries.
- Put the final mixture into muffin tins. After this, place them in the oven until the muffins became golden. The cooking time should be around 20 minutes.
- 1 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese
- 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup of all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon of coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon of milk
- 1 dash of cayenne pepper.
- Preheat your oven to around 350 degrees Fahrenheit/180 Celsius. Make sure that you have a pastry cutter so that you can combine the butter, salt, flour, cayenne pepper, and cheese. After combining, add one teaspoon of milk.
- Using your hands, turn the dough into a circular or ball shape. After this, roll the dough on a floured platform. Make sure that the dough will be around 1/8-inch thick.
- Get a knife to cut the dough and transfer them one by one to a baking sheet. Once done, bake the crackers in the oven for around 12 minutes.
- The process for making this treat is fairly simple. First, slice off a parchment paper down to a size that it can cover a plate. After this, slice off the potato as thin as possible. Place them atop of the sheet-covered plate properly. Make sure that the slices don’t touch each other. The salt is optional, but you can freely sprinkle it on your potatoes.
- Once done, place the potatoes inside the microwave for around 5 minutes. You will notice that the potatoes will become golden brown chips after the duration.
Peanut Butter Cookies
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 cup of smooth peanut butter
- 1 egg
Mix these ingredients in a bowl. After that, turn the mixture into small rounded balls and place them on a baking sheet. Put the sheet in an oven and bake them for around 400 degrees Fahrenheit/200 Celsius. Once done, your kids can already have the healthiest and best-tasting peanut butter cookies at their school!
Author bio: Rose here! I am a full-time mother and a kitchen warrior at the same time. I created the GimmeTasty.com blog so that I can share my cooking knowledge. If you want to catch up with my culinary adventures, just visit and subscribe to my site! I am excited to see you there!