Yes I know, the subject title might shock you given the content of my blog but just hear me out…
The word “terrible” is relative, and having had an extremely bumpy ride up to the grand old age of 2 with my little one, I was bracing myself for total toddler apocalypse. Amazingly…it did not come, well not enough for it to make any significant contribution to the usual toddler chaos.
If it really is so true that the terrible twos peak at 2, then in our case, they must have shrunk into themselves very quickly, or peaked way ahead of time, because amazingly, two is in fact my favourite age so far. The age that I feel like we have finally got into our stride, that we have come into our own, that we have finally and truly found ourselves, and clicked. Could it finally be that I am actually enjoying this motherhood gig?
In fact, I want to be so bold as to say, that the 2s are really quite awesome in comparison to all that absolute baby and boddler carnage that went before. And here are 7 reasons why:
1. The language comes! Seriously, being able to talk, listen, understand and COMMUNICATE is just utterly underrated. It is not only hugely practical and helpful, but it is amazingly entertaining and magical.
2. And as a result you can negotiate….and reason! Imagine the joy. You can finally and miraculously speak the same language during hostage negotiations rather than acting like an Arab trying to talk to a Chinese man. The result: you are able to fend off World War 3 several times a day, every day of the week (well, er, mostly)!
3. Food glorious food. Probably as a result of them having a better handle on their world, at least in our case, food is no longer an anxiety inducing protest weapon to run and flee from but now a rather glorious foodie joy! Oh thank you…for we have finally graduated from the picky eaters club (more on that here)!
4. You actually love each other…like, really love each other. For once, I am not fearing my toddler’s company, but actually looking forward to it. We are partners in crime. An unstoppable duo. A me and a mini-me. Could I be dreaming? No. I am definitely still awake.
5. You are a rock star. You are funny, witty, amusing, you are the coolest thing out in the eyes of your two year old. They adore and worship at the alter that is mamma…and give your previously battered confidence a major boost.
6. Life is one big fun-house bonanza. The day hops from the sublime to the ridiculous as you are whizzed through a two year old’s world of discovery, fun and general craziness. OK so there might be the occasional (again, think relative) meltdown to negotiate along the way, but that’s worth it for the pay off. Finally when someone says to me – oh it’s a lovely age, I can actually, for once in my motherhood life…agree!!!
7. You can get them potty trained. OK so initially this is a bit of a nightmare (see more on that here), but then ..No wiping poo off a bum! Just imagine! Then moving them from the potty to the toilet and hearing that poo plop into the toilet where you don’t need to go anywhere near it and just simply flush it….bliss!
I don’t know whether I will be eating my words tomorrow, but apart from the obvious blips that usually pepper our days, I FINALLY feel like all the hard work has been worth it. I finally now get what this parenting thing is all about, why we put up with all the crap, to get to this. Just this. I don’t miss the baby days. I want these days to go on forever. Because the twos really aren’t so terrible after all. And I have finally found the bit of motherhood I was always searching for…
N.B. Don’t worry, I’m not getting all smug in your face, just enjoying the moment until the next shit storm hits…