Phew! What a weekend! For those of you have missed it and wondering what on earth went down at Brit Mums Live 2017 I have been super speedy and put down all my notes for you from the sessions I went to so you too can be the font of all knowledge. Whether you’re looking to up your game as a influencer or vlogger, or own it with the Insta flatlays or as a Pinterest queen – here’s everything you need to know from the sessions I went to:
How to be an great influencer
- Build your brand and make it consistent
- Treat your blog like a business
- Network! – get offline and be present at events and launches in the flesh and seek to build partnerships
- Be the first person to break a story, review a product etc.
- Write listicles
- Be controversial
- Write posts from the heart
- Spend time crafting your headlines
- Be your own PR! pitch stories to other publications and network with journalists
- Make sure in partnerships with brands that you have a built in agreement that they will share your deliverables
- Always consider whether and how a partnership will help you before agreeing to enter into one
- Beat the social media stagnation by tagging your blogging tribe in Instagram posts and reverse engineering your best Facebook posts into future posts
How to boss it on You Tube
- Have a weekly schedule and have consistency in style. Sustainability is important so don’t do daily vlogs unless you know you can keep up with it
- Consider You Tube Live (streaming) to get content up without having to edit
- Think about who you are appealing to – be more targeted rather than trying to capture everyone
- Find your unique voice to cut through the crowds
- Ask questions about what your viewers want to see, consider using pollcards for this too
- Consider planning your year ahead in an annual vlog plan
- Consider block shooting – shoot all your footage in one day and have content ready to see you through weeks
- Improve your discoverability by covering trending events – cross reference Google Trend
- Use recaps at beginning of videos and linking back to old videos for new audiences
- Start collaborating with other vloggers! It’s a powerful way to grow your channel (but don’t just do it for the sake of it – you have to want to co-create)
- Love what you do and do what you love – your audience feels it and knows it!
- Don’t be afraid to make something even if you’re not sure your audience will like it….try it out!
- Wondering when you can start implementing ads? It’s from 10,000 views. Know that advertisers pay more over Christmas
- Be sure to look over your channel from the audience’s perspective once every six months. How does it look? Does it need reorganising?
How to make money
- Go to brands with ideas and sell, sell, sell!
- Filter out low paid jobs
- Step away from the freebies
- Take risks and invest in yourself
- Write detailed pitches
- Offer a menu of all the things you can bring to the table when talking with brands
- Ask for payment for attendance
Style your Instagram
- Who cares if your picture is a cliche – post it anyway!
- Write engaging captions – funny, touching…make somebody feel something
- Use the shadow, brightening and sharpening editing tools on Insta – this makes your photos pop more! You can also use A Colour Story app for editing.
- Get lots of different coloured card from Hobbycraft for your background, get wallpaper & lino samples to cheat a background
- Use your clothes as background
- Always ask for a window seat if in a cafe/restaurant or good outside
- Create an Insta prop box
- Keep an eye out for great outdoor locations
- Get over your embarassment and get into the picture!
- Experiment with different angles
- Alternate between cleaner images with more busy ones. Use Mosaico app to plan your grid.
- Use contrasting colours & look behind what you’re shooting
- Bank shots and upload them later
Be a Pinterest queen
- Pinterest is all about connecting people with their interests – it’s about planning. Add and curate your content with that in mind. Usage is 54% people planning for everyday moments vs 33% planning for big moments
- Consider restructuring & renaming your boards for niche interests e.g. slow cooker recipes not just recipes
- Don’t add more than 15 pins at a time – subsequent pins that day won’t be shown to anyone
- Start using rich pins! – you can get the embed code from the Pinterest business site. While you’re at it convert to a business account – it’s free
- Start pinning Christmas content now (yes, really!)
- Use hashtags – yes even in Pinterest! – pop them in the pin description but only for new pins of your own (don’t both backdating they won’t be picked up)
- Use Pinterest for brand partnerships by curating content on a board on behalf of a brand or creating a pin a brand wants to promote.
- Remember Pinterest is a long term platform so it can take a while for results to trickle through!
PHEW! Hope some of those nuggets of information will help you in your influencer journey. I think my brain just fell out of my ear….