It’s that time of year again – the school holidays are almost over and the kids will soon be heading back to school. I’m sure we’ll all enjoy these last few weeks with our children, but they can also present a mad rush for many parents who are scrambling to get everything in order for their little ones. Whether your kids are heading off to school for the first time or not, our back to school checklist is ideal for anyone on a budget. If you remember these essentials, the start of the new term will be a breeze.
Back to school checklist: Let’s start with their school uniform
Perhaps the most important part of their first day back at school and your back to school checklist is their uniform. Aside from the basic school uniform required, there are a few other accessories you’ll need to make sure you pick up beforehand. The school will be able to point you in the direction of your local school uniform provider, but sometimes you can pick up cheaper alternatives at your local supermarket.
- 5 x Shirts (or polo shirts) – one for every day of the week
- 3 – 4 jumpers or cardigans or a mixture of both…the 4 is because they always lose these!
- Shoes – make sure they meet school guidelines
- 5 x pairs of plain socks (white or black)
- 3 x trousers, shorts and/or skirts for all-weather
- 3 x vests (if they like to wear them under their shirts…handy for colder weather!)
- A coat
- A backpack or bag
The importance of good shoes
You can never underestimate the importance of a good pair of school shoes. As well as being important for the health of their feet, children can be incredibly conscious of the type and style of shoes they are wearing – particularly at the start of the new school year. But it’s not just style that matters – but fit too.
There’s a lot to think about, and the number of different types of school shoes on offer can be a little daunting. But in a nutshell, when buying a pair of new school shoes things to think about are:
- Shoe size – including the right width for your child’s feet
- Comfort and support
- Ease of putting on and taking off
- Ease of cleaning
With all that said – I wanted to highlight Lelli Kelly– launched in 1992 in Italy, a brand well known for putting the fun and funky back onto little girl’s feet (sorry boys!). They have an excellent back-to-school range with fun designs that every girl will want. School shoes come in 3-width fittings – E for a slim foot, F for an average fit and G fit for the girl with a wider/high instep, in a variety of colours and a choice of styling. Choose from a classic look, fun diamante or interchangeable straps which can be colored in from the Colourissima Collection.
Don’t forget the P.E kit
Along with their school uniform, your kids will be need to carry a P.E kit with them some days. Again, their school will provide you with a list of required items but you could also consider:
- Sports t-shirt and shorts/skirt (the school may require branded ones) – I usually get two of these
- Sports hoodie/sweatshirt – again 2 of these are a good idea especially as one will usually get lost
- Gym bag
- Gym trainers or plimsolls
- Sports socks
- Name labels could also come in handy if your child misplaces anything in the changing rooms (you’ll save money on replacements!)
Stationary must-haves for your back to school checklist
not survive their first day of term without these items of stationery!
- Handwriting pens
- A ruler
- Maths equipment – such as a protractor, compass or calculator
- Colouring pencils
- A pencil case to store all of their stationery
This is just for starters so be sure to check against your school’s full stationery requirements list.
Important extras for your back to school checklist
It’s easy to forget these everyday items, but they’ll make your child’s first day back at school run much more smoothly.
- A refillable water bottle to help them stay hydrated
- Any snacks or their lunch if they aren’t having school lunches
- A hat, scarf and gloves for the colder months that are approaching
- An umbrella – they’ll definitely need one sometime in September
- Name labels and plenty of them!
- Hand sanitiser
Back to school tips
As a parent, there are a some back to school tips that never go out of fashion.
Get them into a routine right away
Whether they’re in primary school or high school, a before and after school routine will help them to develop positive studying habits to benefit their learning. This could be something as simple as encouraging reading and homework at a certain time every night.
Remember it is important to take breaks
Your child’s learning is fundamentally important, but it’s also important that they have fun and enjoy themselves, and not be overscheduled. Whether that be in the evening during the school week or on the weekends. Giving them something to look forward to, such as playing a sport with friends, will subsequently improve their learning.
Here’s your chance to win a pair of Lelli Kelly Colourissima Shoes worth £54.90. Featuring a black patent leather upper and three sets of interchangeable straps, removable bows and as this is a Colourissima shoe you can also colour and decorate it yourself with the felt tips provided with the shoes for extra fun and personalisation. They can also be changed into a gorgeous party shoe with a quick change of straps too. Practical enough for school, beautiful enough to look great at any party – the perfect do-it-all kids’ shoe!